Apricots season is short! They are such wonderful summer fruit, I especially like their acidity! Today I made a “linzer apricots tart”. The recipe came from Mercotte, my favorite french pastry blogger: Thank you very much for sharing such amazing recipes…
In a mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat 75 gr of butter with 75 gr of sugar until creamy. Add 50 gr of hazelnut flour and mix. Add one egg , mix then add 125 gr of flour with 5 gr of baking powder, and mix until just combined. Flatten between 2 sheets of parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator. After a few hours, roll the dough in a pan and keep the leftover for the strips.
While it rest, cook the apricots with sugar & vanilla to make a “compotée”. (Of course, you can also use jam…it’s easier!). Let it cool and fill the crust with a layer of apricot’s sauce.
Lay the dough strips across the tart to create the lattice. The dough is very fragile…so be delicate! Place the tart into the fridge for thirteen minutes . Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(180°C). Before baking, brush the crust and lattice with an egg wash. If desired, sprinkle the crust with almond’s flake then bake the pie for 45/50 minutes.
Cool on a rack and sprinkle with confectioner sugar.
I’ve been having fun with a new appliance toy: The spiraliser… As if I still had space in the kitchen for a new tool! Yes, I bought a spiraliser. And I don’t regret it because it made me try new, fun recipes, such as this salad. Fresh, colorful, easy… everything I love!
I spiralised carrots & zucchinis and cut red cabbage, red pepper, spring onions, cilantro & peanuts while the quinoa cooked.
I then made a sauce with peanut butter, rice vinegar, sesame oil & Sriracha hot chili sauce: A perfect seasoning for a tasty salad!
The result was marvelous,surprising and very fresh.
Another special occasion for baking a cake: A birthday cake for my friend who turned 58. Girly and springy…but delicious for the eyes and surprisingly very light!
Adi Klinghofer bakes amazing cakes shapes like numbers and letters. She is so creative: she decorates the cake tops with fresh fruit, cookies, meringues, macaroons or fresh flowers to create a unique and colorful cake. I’ve wanted to make a number cake for a long time, today was the perfect occasion and I had a lot of fun!
Fraisier is one of my favorite fruit cakes. I was so happy to make one for my friend’s birthday. The cake consists of two layers of “génoise”, soaked in simple syrup, filled with “mousseline” cream, fresh strawberries and topped with marzipan.
As usual, I took a lot of pleasure making it!
The recipe looks complicated, but if you follow the instructions, it is not so fastidious. TRY IT !
Ingredients for 8:
Génoise, basic recipe:
- 90 gr sugar
- 3 eggs
- 90 gr flour
- Grease one 8 inch round cake pan or circle. Lightly flour .
- Whip the eggs and sugar on a bain marie. When they reach the temperature of 55°C, remove from the heat and pour in a mixing bowl. Whip at medium speed for 10-15 minutes.
3. Gently fold in the flour with a spatula, without deflating the eggs.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350° F (180° C) for about 20 minutes. Place pan on rack. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from the mold and let it cool completely.
- 400 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 140 gr sugar
- 20 gr cornstarch
- 20 gr flour
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped.
- 2 x 85 gr unsalted butter
- Kirsh ( optional)
- In a saucepan, pour the milk, half of the sugar and the vanilla seeds. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch, flour, rest of sugar and egg yolks.
- Whisk the hot milk mixture over the egg yolks .
- Pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 85 gr of the butter.
- Cover a pan with plastic wrap and pour the hot pastry cream in it. Make sure to cover the cream completely to avoid a skin. Then refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile cream 85 gr of softened butter. When the pastry cream is cooled to room temperature, add in the butter. Whisk until smooth.If you want to add some Kirsh, go…!
- 100gr sugar
- 100gr water
- Kirsh ( optional)
- Boil the water and sugar for one minute. Add Kirsh if wanted.
Assemble the cake:
1. Cut the sponge cake in half.
2.Cut a dozen of strawberries in half and place them all around between the circle and the cake base.
3.Place a sponge disk (18 cm ∅) centered at the bottom of the circle (20 cm ∅). Brush the first disk of génoise generously with the syrup.
4.Cover with mousseline cream, making sure the cream is spreading well on the sides and between the strawberries.
5. Add the remaining strawberries cut into small pieces. Place the second disc of génoise, moist with syrup.
6. Top with remaining mousseline cream and, with a large spatula, smooth on the surface. Refrigerate for at least 2 h.
Decorate the cake:
- Marzipan pink, green or white, as you like.
- Melted chocolate
- Roll the marzipan with a rolling pin ( sprinkle with confectioner sugar , it will help). Place it on top of the cake and cut the excess paste with the rolling pin. Decorate to your taste with melted chocolate, marzipan flower, strawberries…
- Keep cool until ready to serve.
Today I concocted a new & creative recipe: Since I had salmon in the fridge, black lentils in the kitchen cupboard and leeks in the cellar, I was wondering how to cook these ingredients! I found some chorizo which I love so much, and I tried assembling them all : it worked very well!
Cook the lentils in a broth with shallots.Cook leeks in butter. Boil cream, infused chorizo’s dice for 20 m. When lentils and leeks are cooked, mix together. Blend cream & chorizo. Cook the fish and assemble in a plate.
The French are crazy about bread! I’m used to making homemade bread, but today, I tried baking bread in a pan. It’s easy, quick and it works!
- 500g flour ( 400gr white & 100gr whole wheat for me)
- 30 cl lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoon dry yeast
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grains as sunflower, poppy seeds, nuts …( walnuts, oats and sunflower for me)
- Dissolve the yeast in 10 cl lukewarm water .
- Combine the flour, sugar, water, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook. Mix on slow speed until the dough is smooth and elastic for 10 minutes. Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover it with a plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a floury work surface and knead it to release the gas.
- Shape the dough, add sunflower, pumpkin, poppy seeds or nuts and put the dough in the center of the pot, on parchment paper. Score the bread with a sharp knife. Place the lid on. Allow the dough to rise again, 30 to 60 minutes.
- Place the cocotte in a cold oven ( surprising!) and preheat at 450°F .
- Bake for 40/45 minutes.
- Remove the cocotte from the oven, the bread from the cocotte and allow it to cool on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm or cold
Recette en Français:
- 500 gr de faine ( 400gr blanche et 100 gr complète pour moi)
- 30 cl d’eau tiède
- 2 cuillères à café de levure de boulanger déshydratée
- 1 c. à café de sucre en poudre
- 1 c. à café de sel
- Graines de pavot, de lin, noix…
- Mélanger dans le bol d’un robot muni du crochet,la farine, le sucre et le sel. Ajouter le mélange eau tiède /levure et pétrir pendant 10 minutes, jusqu’à obtenir une pâte élastique et souple.
- Laisser lever la pâte dans le bol du robot pendant environ 2 heures, recouvert d’un torchon ou d’un film plastique. La boule va doubler de volume.
- Dégazer la pâte en appuyant avec le poing pour chasser l’air. Reformer un beau pâton bien rond et ajouter les graines ou noix a ce moment.Laisser lever à nouveau 30 a 60 minutes.
- Placer un rond de papier sulfurisé au fond de la cocotte ou huiler légèrement. Déposer le pâton et le badigeonner d’un peu d’eau au pinceau.
- Réaliser le motif de votre choix à l’aide d’un couteau bien aiguisé. Parsemer quelques graines de pavot et de lin par-dessus.
- Placer le couvercle sur la cocotte et enfourner à four froid. Faire chauffer à 240°C, pendant 40 minutes environ. Ne pas ouvrir la cocotte pendant les 30 premières minutes.
- Sortir le pain de la cocotte, le déposer sur une grille et laisser refroidir.