Christophe Michalak is a “master” of French pastry and he is a famous source of inspiration for me. He created some amazing dessert named “Fantastik”. Today I realized one with Chocolate & pistachio.
The recipe is simple: The base is made with shortbread, rice crispies & chocolate.
No need to bake!
I made a ” chocolate crémeux” and a white chocolate & pistachio Chantilly.
Caramelized pistachio & little chocolate balls for the decoration.
Done : the cake is colorful, tasty and …fantastic!
A verrine with the leftover…Yummy!
Apricots season is short! They are such wonderful summer fruit, I especially like their acidity! Today I made a “linzer apricots tart”. The recipe came from Mercotte, my favorite french pastry blogger: Thank you very much for sharing such amazing recipes…
In a mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat 75 gr of butter with 75 gr of sugar until creamy. Add 50 gr of hazelnut flour and mix. Add one egg , mix then add 125 gr of flour with 5 gr of baking powder, and mix until just combined. Flatten between 2 sheets of parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator. After a few hours, roll the dough in a pan and keep the leftover for the strips.
While it rest, cook the apricots with sugar & vanilla to make a “compotée”. (Of course, you can also use jam…it’s easier!). Let it cool and fill the crust with a layer of apricot’s sauce.
Lay the dough strips across the tart to create the lattice. The dough is very fragile…so be delicate! Place the tart into the fridge for thirteen minutes . Pre-heat the oven to 350°F(180°C). Before baking, brush the crust and lattice with an egg wash. If desired, sprinkle the crust with almond’s flake then bake the pie for 45/50 minutes.
Cool on a rack and sprinkle with confectioner sugar.
I’ve been having fun with a new appliance toy: The spiraliser… As if I still had space in the kitchen for a new tool! Yes, I bought a spiraliser. And I don’t regret it because it made me try new, fun recipes, such as this salad. Fresh, colorful, easy… everything I love!
I spiralised carrots & zucchinis and cut red cabbage, red pepper, spring onions, cilantro & peanuts while the quinoa cooked.
I then made a sauce with peanut butter, rice vinegar, sesame oil & Sriracha hot chili sauce: A perfect seasoning for a tasty salad!
The result was marvelous,surprising and very fresh.
Another special occasion for baking a cake: A birthday cake for my friend who turned 58. Girly and springy…but delicious for the eyes and surprisingly very light!
Adi Klinghofer bakes amazing cakes shapes like numbers and letters. She is so creative: she decorates the cake tops with fresh fruit, cookies, meringues, macaroons or fresh flowers to create a unique and colorful cake. I’ve wanted to make a number cake for a long time, today was the perfect occasion and I had a lot of fun!
Fraisier is one of my favorite fruit cakes. I was so happy to make one for my friend’s birthday. The cake consists of two layers of “génoise”, soaked in simple syrup, filled with “mousseline” cream, fresh strawberries and topped with marzipan.
As usual, I took a lot of pleasure making it!
The recipe looks complicated, but if you follow the instructions, it is not so fastidious. TRY IT !
Ingredients for 8:
Génoise, basic recipe:
- 90 gr sugar
- 3 eggs
- 90 gr flour
- Grease one 8 inch round cake pan or circle. Lightly flour .
- Whip the eggs and sugar on a bain marie. When they reach the temperature of 55°C, remove from the heat and pour in a mixing bowl. Whip at medium speed for 10-15 minutes.
3. Gently fold in the flour with a spatula, without deflating the eggs.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350° F (180° C) for about 20 minutes. Place pan on rack. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from the mold and let it cool completely.
- 400 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 140 gr sugar
- 20 gr cornstarch
- 20 gr flour
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped.
- 2 x 85 gr unsalted butter
- Kirsh ( optional)
- In a saucepan, pour the milk, half of the sugar and the vanilla seeds. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch, flour, rest of sugar and egg yolks.
- Whisk the hot milk mixture over the egg yolks .
- Pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 85 gr of the butter.
- Cover a pan with plastic wrap and pour the hot pastry cream in it. Make sure to cover the cream completely to avoid a skin. Then refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile cream 85 gr of softened butter. When the pastry cream is cooled to room temperature, add in the butter. Whisk until smooth.If you want to add some Kirsh, go…!
- 100gr sugar
- 100gr water
- Kirsh ( optional)
- Boil the water and sugar for one minute. Add Kirsh if wanted.
Assemble the cake:
1. Cut the sponge cake in half.
2.Cut a dozen of strawberries in half and place them all around between the circle and the cake base.
3.Place a sponge disk (18 cm ∅) centered at the bottom of the circle (20 cm ∅). Brush the first disk of génoise generously with the syrup.
4.Cover with mousseline cream, making sure the cream is spreading well on the sides and between the strawberries.
5. Add the remaining strawberries cut into small pieces. Place the second disc of génoise, moist with syrup.
6. Top with remaining mousseline cream and, with a large spatula, smooth on the surface. Refrigerate for at least 2 h.
Decorate the cake:
- Marzipan pink, green or white, as you like.
- Melted chocolate
- Roll the marzipan with a rolling pin ( sprinkle with confectioner sugar , it will help). Place it on top of the cake and cut the excess paste with the rolling pin. Decorate to your taste with melted chocolate, marzipan flower, strawberries…
- Keep cool until ready to serve.
Today I concocted a new & creative recipe: Since I had salmon in the fridge, black lentils in the kitchen cupboard and leeks in the cellar, I was wondering how to cook these ingredients! I found some chorizo which I love so much, and I tried assembling them all : it worked very well!
Cook the lentils in a broth with shallots.Cook leeks in butter. Boil cream, infused chorizo’s dice for 20 m. When lentils and leeks are cooked, mix together. Blend cream & chorizo. Cook the fish and assemble in a plate.