Fraisier is one of my favorite fruit cakes. I was so happy to make one for my friend’s birthday. The cake consists of two layers of “génoise”, soaked in simple syrup, filled with “mousseline” cream, fresh strawberries and topped with marzipan.
As usual, I took a lot of pleasure making it!
The recipe looks complicated, but if you follow the instructions, it is not so fastidious. TRY IT !
Ingredients for 8:
Génoise, basic recipe:
- 90 gr sugar
- 3 eggs
- 90 gr flour
- Grease one 8 inch round cake pan or circle. Lightly flour .
- Whip the eggs and sugar on a bain marie. When they reach the temperature of 55°C, remove from the heat and pour in a mixing bowl. Whip at medium speed for 10-15 minutes.
3. Gently fold in the flour with a spatula, without deflating the eggs.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350° F (180° C) for about 20 minutes. Place pan on rack. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove from the mold and let it cool completely.
- 400 ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 140 gr sugar
- 20 gr cornstarch
- 20 gr flour
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped.
- 2 x 85 gr unsalted butter
- Kirsh ( optional)
- In a saucepan, pour the milk, half of the sugar and the vanilla seeds. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cornstarch, flour, rest of sugar and egg yolks.
- Whisk the hot milk mixture over the egg yolks .
- Pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 85 gr of the butter.
- Cover a pan with plastic wrap and pour the hot pastry cream in it. Make sure to cover the cream completely to avoid a skin. Then refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile cream 85 gr of softened butter. When the pastry cream is cooled to room temperature, add in the butter. Whisk until smooth.If you want to add some Kirsh, go…!
- 100gr sugar
- 100gr water
- Kirsh ( optional)
- Boil the water and sugar for one minute. Add Kirsh if wanted.
Assemble the cake:
1. Cut the sponge cake in half.
2.Cut a dozen of strawberries in half and place them all around between the circle and the cake base.
3.Place a sponge disk (18 cm ∅) centered at the bottom of the circle (20 cm ∅). Brush the first disk of génoise generously with the syrup.
4.Cover with mousseline cream, making sure the cream is spreading well on the sides and between the strawberries.
5. Add the remaining strawberries cut into small pieces. Place the second disc of génoise, moist with syrup.
6. Top with remaining mousseline cream and, with a large spatula, smooth on the surface. Refrigerate for at least 2 h.
Decorate the cake:
- Marzipan pink, green or white, as you like.
- Melted chocolate
- Roll the marzipan with a rolling pin ( sprinkle with confectioner sugar , it will help). Place it on top of the cake and cut the excess paste with the rolling pin. Decorate to your taste with melted chocolate, marzipan flower, strawberries…
- Keep cool until ready to serve.