milk, eggs & sugar. That’s it!
Easy, simple, light and delightful. One of my favorite!
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 cup of sugar for the caramel
- Make a dry caramel in a heavy saucepan: heat the sugar slowly, keep an eye on it and be patient. When the sugar begins to melt, move and shake the saucepan until the sugar becomes golden and remove from the heat immediately. Pour into 4 ramekins or into a large one.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and well combined.
- Heat the milk until until it is boiling, then whisk into the egg mixture. Pass through a strainer and pour the mixture gently into the ramekins (three quarters full)
- Place the ramekins into a baking dish and pour boiling water into the baking dish: this water bath is called a “bain-marie”. The water should come about halfway up the ramekins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate at least for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve, run a sharp knife around the edges of the ramekins to make sure the custard will release. Invert onto a plate for serving.
- Enjoy !
… an alternative presentation…