Quiche is a part of French cuisine. The traditional one comes from Lorraine: it’s an open pie with a filling of creamy custard and bacon. We can add grated cheese. Choose what you like : mushrooms, onions, asparagus, spinach, salmon…
Quiche for 6 persons:
Ingredients for the pie dough:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
- 5 or 6 cl cold water
Ingredients for the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 20 cl cream
- 20cl milk
- Salt & pepper
- Combine the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub the butter between your fingers. It must look like sand!
- Add ice water and mix gently, until combined. Don’t overknead or the dough could become tough or shrink once cooked. Wrap it and put it in the fridge for half of hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ˚F. Grease the form. Roll the dough, place it carefully on the form and using a fork, lightly prick the bottom of the shell. Then, “blind bake” (with pie weights) for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the bacon. Leave it cool.
- Beat the eggs, cream and milk together. Add salt & pepper, eventually ground nutmeg.
- Take the pastry from the oven and arrange the bacon first. Then fill it with the eggs and cream.
- Bake the “quiche” for another 30 minutes until golden.
- Enjoy it hot, warm or cold with a green salad and a glass of Pinot blanc d’Alsace!