I especially love lemon tart, which is one of French people’s favorite desert! I will give you the recipe another time… I discovered the key lime pie during a travel in Florida. I had a ” coup de coeur“: simplicity of ingredients, freshness of lime, smooth in the mouth with crumble crackers pastry…A Delight! Here is my favorite recipe:
Key lime pie for 8 :
For the crust:
- 1 1/4 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
For the smooth cream:
- 1 can ( 14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk
- 12cl lime juice ( 4/5 limes)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of sugar
Make a crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Stir together Graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a bowl with a fork until well mixed, (or use your food processor!) then press mixture to the base and sides of a 9-inch (4-cup) pie plate.
- Bake the crust in middle of the oven for 10 minutes and cool it in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
Make filling and bake pie:
- Whisk together condensed milk, yolks and lime juice in a bowl until well mixed. If you like, add some zest… So simple!
- Pour filling onto crust and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Cool the pie completely on a rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Beat egg whites in a metal bowl until they reach soft peaks. Gradually add sugar one tablespoon at a time until the sugar is gone and whites hold hard peaks. You can now scrape the meringue into a piping bag for a nice design, or simply spoon it naturally all over the pie. Use a brulee torch to brown the meringue (or under the broiler, 20 seconds). Sprinkle the zest shavings onto the meringue and let cool for 2 hours minimum.